Saturday, July 11, 2009

our yard... our loss....

We had a supper strong storm on Friday night. Our vegitables will once again make it but I am afraid to say we lost one of our big cotton wood trees. I was upstairs taking care of gushing water coming out of our windows when it fell. I thought it was thunder because the storm was so loud. The kids came running up stairs telling me that the thunder was so loud it hurt thier ears. So I calmed them down and went back to the window and saw the tree on the ground. We are so blessed that it didn't hurt anything. It really couldn't have fallen in a better place.

Russell was really sad when he realized his swing was on the ground!



While I was out there I thought I would show everyone what our back yard looks like! Here is our flag stone patio

Some of our many fruit trees. Still no fruit but in a couple of years we will be eating good!

Here is our garden this year. We have really awsome raised beds. It took many weeks of weeding and preperation but we are finally eating out of it. The whole first and last row are berries. Russell and Landon can't seem to keep them alone. We only have raspberries right now but soon we will get black berries!






Here are our tomatoes...

Carrots..

Squash..

Beans..

Peas... I really haven't had a chance to cook with any of these I can't seem to keep the kids from eating them. They are really yummy and sweet.

Corn... Well it looked alot better before this last storm. They got a little wind blown.


And here is a picture of our first carrots. This kids were really cute eating them with the leaves still on them!


Well that was our exciting weekend now what to do with the tree??????

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad your house was ok, that tree is huge to fall that close! Your gardens look great, how fun and yummy. Can't wait to come and see it all soon!

Walser Family said...

What a wonderful garden. I know you have worked so hard on it. Sorry about the tree!
Mom

Brandi Jo said...

Aww... what a neat garden! I have a few pots in my back yard, but it is hard to really plant a garden living in base housing. Justin is getting ready to make a big raised planter for me! I am excited. Being this late in the planting season, we'll have to buy bigger more established plants, but that is OK! :-) Right now we have, 1 tomato plant, 1 cantalope plant, 1 bell pepper plant, 2 strawberry plants and so far... 3 green bean plants. I love it and the kids think it is great! :-) That really stinks about the tree!